Jurors Include Mike Birbiglia, Danny Glover, Judy Greer, Chloe Grace Moretz, Sheila Nevins, Laura Poitras, Parker Posey, Jean Reno, Liev Schreiber, Sam Taylor-Johnson, Jennifer Westfeldt, Roger Ross Williams and Jessica Yu
New York, NY – April 6, 2016 – The 15th annual Tribeca Film Festival (TFF), presented by AT&T, today announced its jurors – a diverse group of industry leaders, including award-winning actors, acclaimed filmmakers, writers, entrepreneurs, artists and cultural leaders. The jury will be divided among eleven competitive Festival categories. The winning films, filmmakers, actors, and storytellers in each category will be announced at the TFF Awards Night ceremony on Thursday, April 21 at 42 W NY. The 2016 Festival runs from April 13 –24.
The eight TFF juries for the film and experiential storytelling categories will award $155,000 in cash and prizes. Announced last month, ten of the winners will also receive a work of original art by an acclaimed artist as part of the Tribeca Film Festival Artists Awards program, sponsored by CHANEL.
“The Festival’s goal is to bring diverse minds together to spark conversation,” said Jane Rosenthal, co-founder, Tribeca Film Festival, and Executive Chair, Tribeca Enterprises. “Our jurors are as unique and multi-faceted as the films they will judge.”
In addition to the main competition juries, the Festival announced the five jurors for the new Tribeca X Award, sponsored by GE, which celebrates branded storytelling and recognizes the intersection of advertising and entertainment. The Tribeca X Award winner will also be announced during the April 21 TFF Awards Night ceremony. As previously announced, seven jurors will choose the winners of the first ever Tribeca Snapchat Shorts program, sponsored by Samsung Electronics America, which spotlights the best Snapchat stories from across the U.S. The Tribeca Snapchat Shorts winners will be announced on Sunday, April 17.
Following is a list of all 2016 Festival jurors and their respective categories.
Feature Film Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2016 US Narrative Competition section, sponsored by AKA Hotel Residences, are:
- Anne Carey: Anne Carey is an Independent Spirit Award-winning producer and President of Production at Archer Gray. As independent producer, Carey has collaborated with seminal filmmakers such as Ang Lee, Mike Mills, Liz Garbus and Mari Heller. Recent credits include Mr. Holmes and The Diary of a Teenage Girl and the upcoming 20th Century Women.
- James Le Gros: Independent Spirit Award-nominated and SAG Award-nominated actor whose credits include Drugstore Cowboy, Living in Oblivion, Safe, Lovely & Amazing, Zodiac, “Ally McBeal,” “Mildred Pierce,” “Girls” and the upcoming Certain Women.
- Chris Nashawaty: Chris Nashawaty has been a writer at Entertainment Weekly since 1993, and the magazine’s film critic since 2013. He is the author of Crab Monsters, Teenage Cavemen, and Candy Stripe Nurses: Roger Corman, King of the B-Movie.
- Mya Taylor: Mya Taylor is an actress and singer best known for her acclaimed role as Alexandra in Sean Baker’s award-winning 2015 film Tangerine. For her performance, she was the recipient of an Independent Spirit Award for Best Supporting Actress, designating her the first transgender actor to win at the awards show.
- Jennifer Westfeldt: Jennifer Westfeldt is a Tony-nominated actress and filmmaker, best known for writing and starring in the indie hits Kissing Jessica Stein and Friends With Kids (which marked her directorial debut).
The jurors for the 2016 International Narrative Competition section are:
- Hany Abu-Assad: Hany Abu-Assad was born in Nazareth, studied in Holland, and makes movies globally. His movies Paradise Now and Omar were both nominated for Oscars.
- Jean Reno: Jean Reno is a renowned French actor who gained international recognition with pivotal roles in films such as Mission Impossible opposite Tom Cruise, Ronin opposite Robert De Niro, and The DaVinci Code opposite Tom Hanks. Reno will next appear on the big screen in The Promise, a film directed by Terry George, and The Last Face, directed by Sean Penn.
- Lydia Dean Pilcher: Lydia Dean Pilcher is founder of Cine Mosaic, and producer of over 35 features including a long term partnership with director Mira Nair. Recent films include the upcoming Queen of Katwe for Disney, The Lunchbox, and Academy Award nominated Cutie & the Boxer.
- Sam Taylor-Johnson: Sam Taylor-Johnson is an internationally renown artist working mostly in the photographic medium. She is also a critically acclaimed film director who has recently become the highest grossing box-office female director of all time. Film credits include Nowhere Boy, Fifty Shades of Grey and Love You More.
- Danny Glover: Actor, producer and humanitarian, Danny Glover has been a commanding presence on screen and on stage for more than 30 years. His film credits range from the blockbuster Lethal Weapon franchise to smaller independent features. Glover co‐founded NY based Louverture Films, has served as a Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Development Program and is currently serving as UNICEF Ambassador.
The jurors for the 2016 World Documentary Competition section, sponsored by Bira 91, are:
- Laura Poitras: Laura Poitras is a filmmaker best known for her post-9/11 trilogy and Citizenfour. Her exhibition Astro Noise is at the Whitney museum until May 1, 2016. She is co-creator of Field of Vision (https://theintercept.com/fieldofvision/), and is editing a film about Julian Assange.
- Douglas Tirola: Douglas Tirola is an award-winning director and producer whose work includes Drunk Stoned Brilliant Dead, Kate Plays Christine, Hey Bartender and Making the Boys. He is President of New York based production company, 4th Row Films.
- Roger Ross Williams: Academy Award winner, Roger Ross Williams, is the director of the acclaimed films Music By Prudence, God Loves Uganda and the recent Sundance award winning Life, Animated.
The jurors for the 2016 Best New Narrative Director Competition are:
- Hill Harper: Actor, author & humanitarian, Hill Harper…. Star of “Concussion”, “1982” & CBS’s ‘Limitless’.
- Col Needham: Col Needham is the founder and CEO of IMDb, the #1 movie website in the world.
- Ry Russo-Young: Ry has been making independent films for eleven years; her work has premiered and won awards at several international film festivals. She is currently in post-production on her fourth feature, Before I Fall based on the best-selling young adult novel of the same name. You Won’t Miss Me won a Gotham Independent Film award in 2009. Nobody Walks, co-written with Lena Dunham, won a special Jury Prize at Sundance. Ry has received accolades from the New York State Council on the Arts, the Tribeca Film Institute, the LEF Foundation, and the Sundance Institute.
The jurors for the 2016 Albert Maysles Award (Best New Documentary Director Award) are:
- Jason Biggs: Jason Biggs was most recently seen starring on Broadway in the critically acclaimed “Heidi Chronicles” opposite Elisabeth Moss. He can also be seen in the Emmy nominated Netflix series, “Orange is the New Black.”
- Karen Cooper: Since 1972 Karen Cooper has been Director of Film Forum, presiding over the growth of this NYC non-profit cinema. Cooper and Mike Maggiore co-program the theater’s NYC premieres.
- Sebastian Silva: Chilean writer, director Sebastian Silva has been one of the rare talents to win international acclaim very early in his career. His work has been recognized and awarded at the Golden Globes and Sundance on multiple occasions. He recently directed and acted in his film Nasty Baby which premiered at Sundance.
Short Film Competition Categories
The jurors for the 2016 Narrative Short Film Competition are:
- Mike Birbiglia: Mike Birbiglia is a comedian, writer, actor and director. He is currently starring in his third critically acclaimed one-person show, Thank God for Jokes Mike’s forthcoming feature film, Don’t Think Twice, which he wrote, directed, and stars in, will be released in 2016.
- Chloe Grace Moretz: Chloe Grace Moretz made her debut at age seven and has starred in more than 35 films since then. From TV, films, theatre to lending her voice for animated films, Chloe has done it all. Her recent releases include The Fifth Wave, If I Stay and The Equalizer. She has been recognized for her performances by leading publications and has won various awards as well.
- Sheila Nevins: Sheila Nevins, the President of HBO Documentary films is one of the most awarded producers of all time. Her awards include 31 Primetime Emmys, 34 News and Documentary Emmys, 40 George Peabody Awards and a 2005 Emmy Lifetime Achievement Award.
The jurors for the 2016 Documentary and Student Visionary Competitions are:
- Maria Cuomo Cole: Maria Cuomo Cole is an award-winning producer of the feature documentary, Newtown, which premiered at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. In her career, she has tackled such relevant subjects as gun violence, homelessness, veterans’ PTSD, Domestic Violence and sexual assault.
- Mark Conseulos: Actor and producer, Mark Conseulos will next be seen in the feature films Nine Lives, All We Had and the TV series“Queen of the South.” Recent credits include Kingdom and Alpha House.
- Jessica Yu: Jessica Yu is an Oscar-winning director of documentaries, shorts, and scripted films, including Breathing Lessons and Last Call at the Oasis, and TV shows like “American Crime” and “Parenthood.”
- Parker Posey, also known as “Queen of Indies” recently appeared in Woody Allen’s Irrational Man and also co-starred with Louis CK in the critically-acclaimed series, “Louie.”
- Alan Yang: Alan Yang is the co-creator of the Netflix series “Master of None.” Previously, he was a writer and producer for “Parks and Recreation,” for which he was nominated for an Emmy in 2015.
The jurors for the 2016 Storyscapes Competition, presented by AT&T, are:
- Jessica Brillhart: Jessica Brillhart is the Principal Filmmaker for Virtual Reality at Google.
- Jigar Mehta: Jigar Mehta is passionate about entrepreneurship and intersection of media. As the lead of digital operations at Fusion, he strives towards creating impactful online experiences. Formerly as the lead of engagement at AJ+ Jigar helped the news brand reach 2.2 billion Facebook views.
- Saschka Unseld: Saschka Unseld is a German-born writer and director. After directing multiple award winning short films, including the 2013 Pixar short The Blue Umbrella, he co-founded Oculus Story Studio where he now works as a Creative Director, exploring the future of VR storytelling. He’s currently finishing up his upcoming VR experience, Dear Angelica.
Nora Ephron Prize
The jurors for the 2016 Nora Ephron Prize, sponsored by Coach, are:
- Rachael Leigh Cook: Rachael Leigh Cook is an American actress best known for her roles in She’s All That, Josie And The Pussycats, Into The West and Perception. She has also appeared in many critically acclaimed films alongside Hollywood’s biggest stars.
- Judy Greer: Judy Greer is a prolific actress of film and television that has appeared in over 80 roles to date including in The Descendants, Jurassic World, Ant Man, 13 Going on 30 and many more.
- Mary Stuart Masterson: Founder of Stockade Works, a net zero film and technology studio in Kingston, NY, Mary Stuart Masterson’s film, TV and theater career has received acclaim both as an actor and director. Her directorial debut, The Cake Eaters, premiered at Tribeca Film Festival in 2007.
Tribeca X Award
The jurors for the 2016 Tribeca X Award. sponsored by GE, are:
- Laurie Anderson: Laurie Anderson is a multi-media artist and lives in New York.
- Scott Carlson: Scott Carlson is the man of many talents. Over the period of 20 years, he has worked at several agencies and co-founded Van’s General store. He is a renowned storyteller from the advertising industry who has mastered fine arts, films, digital media and pop-culture.
- Judy McGrath: Emmy award-winning MTV Networks veteran Judy McGrath has championed creating content for young adult consumers. In 2013 she founded Astronauts Wanted, a next gen digital studio and a joint venture between McGrath and Sony Music Entertainment.
- Liev Schreiber: Golden Globe and Primetime Emmy nominee Liev Screiber is one of the finest American actors who was recently seen in Oscar and Golden Globe award-winning film, Spotlight. He has also won Tony award for his Broadway performance. In 2005, he made his feature directorial debut with Everything is Illuminated.
- Hank Willis Thomas: Hank Willis Thomas is a New York based photo conceptual artist working primarily with themes related to identity, history and popular culture. He was recently appointed to the Public Design Commission for the city of New York.
Tribeca Snapchat Shorts
The jurors for the 2016 Tribeca Snapchat Shorts, sponsored by Samsung, are:
- Jessica Alba: Jessica Alba is an actress, advocate and New York Times bestselling author. She is founder and chief creative officer of The Honest Company and Honest Beauty.
- Steve Aoki: Steve Aoki is a Grammy-nominated international producer/ DJ, electronic music entrepreneur, and founder of the trendsetting record label, events/ lifestyle company and apparel line Dim Mak.
- Steve Buscemi: Steve Buscemi is an American actor, writer, director and producer. He starred in the HBO drama “Boardwalk Empire,” which garnered him a Golden Globe Award, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, and two Emmy nominations. He is currently appearing in Louis C.K.’s critically acclaimed web series “Horace and Pete.”
- DJ Khaled: DJ Khaled is an American record producer, radio personality, DJ and record label executive.
- David Gordon Green: David Gordon Green is a director that made such films as George Washington, All the Real Girls, Pineapple Express, Your Highness, Prince Avalanche, Joe, Manglehorn, Our Brand is Crisis and the HBO series “Eastbound and Down.” Green is currently working on the Amazon series “Red Oaks,” the HBO series “Vice-Principals” and the film Stronger.
- Vashti Kola: Vashtie Kola is an accomplished music video director, designer & DJ from NYC. She’s directed videos for artists like Justin Bieber & Kendrick Lamar; designed collaborations with Puma and Brand Jordan; and DJs worldwide
- Marc Mathieu: Marc Mathieu is chief marketing officer of Samsung Electronics America responsible for marketing the company’s portfolio of mobile, virtual reality, home entertainment and home appliances as well as signature services including, the Milk platform and Samsung Pay.
- Shay Mitchell: Shay Mitchell is most recognizable for her leading role on ABC Family’s hit show “Pretty Little Liars.” She will next be seen in Mother’s Dayopposite Jennifer Aniston. She recently released her first novel BLISS.
Visit www.tribecafilm.com/festival for more information about TFF’s 2016 programs and the full line-up.
Passes and tickets for the 2016 Festival
Passes, including the Hudson and Festival Hub Passes, are on sale now at tribecafilm.com/festival/tickets. The Festival Hub Pass provides access for one to all public events at the Festival Hub at Spring Studios throughout the Festival, including interactive and virtual reality installations: the Virtual Arcade, presented by AT&T, Storyscapes, presented by AT&T, and DEFCON exhibits, Interactive Day and Imagination Day, select Tribeca Talks events, special screenings, live music and performances, as well as Pass Holder Lounges with food and drinks. It also provides access to the Disruptive Innovation Awards, two screening vouchers redeemable for evening/weekend or matinee-priced tickets, discounted rates on festival screening tickets, and an invitation to a Tribeca Film Festival Filmmaker Party. The Festival Hub Pass costs $550.
The Hudson Pass provides access for one to all public events at the Festival Hub, as well as Pass Holder Lounges with food, and drinks. It also provides access to all evening/weekend and matinee screenings, all Tribeca Talks, the Disruptive Innovation Awards, and a Tribeca Film Festival Filmmaker Party. The Hudson Pass costs $1,250.
Advance selection ticket packages are now on sale. All advance selection packages can be purchased online at tribecafilm.com/festival/tickets, or by telephone at (646) 502-5296 or toll free at (866) 941-FEST (3378).
Single tickets cost $20.00 for evening and weekend screenings, $10.00 for weekday matinee screenings, and $40.00 for Tribeca Talks panels and special screenings. Single ticket sales begin Tuesday, March 29 and can be purchased online, by telephone, or at one of the Ticket Outlets, located at Bow Tie Cinemas Chelsea (260 W. 23rd Street), and Brookfield Place (250 Vesey Street). The 2016 Festival will offer ticket discounts on general screenings and Tribeca Talks panels for students, seniors and select downtown Manhattan residents. Discounted tickets are available at Ticket Outlet locations only.
About the Tribeca Film Festival
The Tribeca Film Festival, now in its 15th year, brings together visionaries across industries and diverse audiences to celebrate the power of storytelling. A platform for independent filmmaking, creative expression and immersive entertainment, Tribeca supports emerging and established voices, discovers award-winning filmmakers, curates innovative and interactive experiences, and introduces new technology and ideas through panels, premieres, exhibitions, and live performance.
Founded by Robert De Niro, Jane Rosenthal and Craig Hatkoff in 2001, following the attacks on the World Trade Center, Tribeca has evolved from an annual event to spur the economic and cultural revitalization of lower Manhattan to a gathering place for filmmakers, artists, innovators, and the global creative community. Through programs that embrace storytelling in all of its expansive forms – from film and music to video games and online work, TFF reimagines the cinematic experience and explores how art can unite communities.
About the 2016 Tribeca Film Festival Sponsors
As Presenting Sponsor of the Tribeca Film Festival, AT&T is committed to supporting the Festival and the art of filmmaking through access and innovation – aiming to make this the most interactive film and storytelling festival in the country, where visitors experience the Festival in ways they never imagined. As one of the largest communications and entertainment companies, AT&T helps millions connect with entertainment, mobile, high speed Internet and voice services – virtually everywhere.
The Tribeca Film Festival is pleased to announce its Signature Sponsors: #ActuallySheCan by Allergan, Accenture, Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, Bai Beverages, Bira 91, Bloomberg Philanthropies’, Borough of Manhattan Community College (BMCC), CHANEL, DEAN & DELUCA, EFFEN® Vodka, ESPN, Hendrick’s Gin, IBM, Infor, IWC Schaffhausen, The Lincoln Motor Company, NBC 4 New York, National CineMedia, New York Magazine, Nexxus New York Salon Care, NYC Mayor’s Office of Media and Entertainment, Samsung, Spring Studios New York, Thompson Hotels, and United Airlines.
(212) 843-8078, firstname.lastname@example.org
(212) 941-2003, email@example.com